Monday, March 25, 2013

Movies For Men - 1969

Because the dying carcass that is Hollywood refuses to make movies for males anymore, outside of absolutely juvenile and crude sex "comedies", I hope to now and again spotlight real movies for men that have gotten lost in the shuffle over the years. So, to begin:

Somehow I missed this one. Never saw it before coming across it recently on youtube. Great World War One flick. Sort of slow the first hour or so. You think, "eh, this ain't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it ain't all that good." Kind of an OK B-movie. Then the last half-hour explodes on you.

Kick-ass doesn't even begin to describe it. One of the coolest scenes in cinematic history toward the end. Don't blow it by reading the comments or skipping over the first hour right to that. Watch the whole thing. It all sets up for the big finale. And you will be rewarded. Jaw on the floor.

Without giving anything away, I'll tell you why I ended up loving it as a spy movie:

It showed the consequences of what an agent behind enemy lines does in a powerful way. We see the results of individual acts of betrayal made on a personal basis to real people.

How was I not familiar with this movie? Dino De Laurentiis and all. How'd I miss it?


Fraulein Doktor (1969) complete: Suzy Kendall, Capucine in WW1 spy classic





HIGHLY recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment